My dad bought the Super Bee for me as a graduation gift in July 1990. The only condition was when he came back from vacation,He did not want to see it on jackstands. My father past on in 1995. So I kept the car as a reminder of him. In late '99 I decided to remove every nut and bolt to restore it,I had the car decoded by Galen Govier, and found out a lot of cool stuff about the Super Bee. It is one Of 203,383,3sp.-man. The Build date was 9-17-70 at ST. Louis plant.It was ordered with side accent tape stripe delete.Orange-black,cloth-vinyl,salt-pepper buckets. G.T.S. reprinted the window sticker,door vin sticker and fender tag.I reassembled the car to look as correct as possible.Minus the Indy B engine 516hp at 6100rpm. I painted the motor all orange to look stock at first glance. Plus Kiesler 5sp.I put correct looking 3sp. floor shifter. I had to put all the goodies underneath Magnumforce upper control arms, coil over conversion, Hotchkis anty sway bars
frt.-r, 18in rallys, Willwood 4whl. disc, 6piston frt.,T.T.I. EXT. 4:11 work better with new O.D. trans, hydrolic throw out, Mancini racing radiator ect. I have all the original parts archived in boxes. Start to finish it took this working stiff 7yrs. I have about 100mi on it since completion,the odometer shows 119645ml. I had to tell you guys about my Bee. Which happens to be the first car I ever sowned.
UPDATED ON 7-17-09
I have discovered that the coil-over conversion is unsound. I discovered that I was losing at least two inches of the suspension geometry, by having lowered the vehicle with the shock absorber insted of the spindle.
Since then I have replaced it with XV motor sports torsion bars, and special valved shock absorbers. They have been dyno tested and valved specifically for a 71 Charger with a big block. I also made my own sub-frame connectors.
Now I have lowered the vehicle with a spindle and upgraded the front brakes with 13 in slotted rotors, and radial mounted 6 piston calipers. Basically replacing the entire front suspension and upgraded the braking system. which has been quite a surprise as I have discovered rides cleaner, and feels like it is on rails, After eligneing the car myself.
UPDATED ON 6-13-08
My brother,and I aligned the car ourselves, That's my bro Quinten in the pic. I had the dash pod woodgrain & plastic chrome redone. While it was out I modernized the radio. I sent it to American Restoration. They take the old guts out,and make it all digital,and put R.C.A. hook ups for an I-pod, M.P.3 or Satellite, I got the radio out of a 72 Charger. So it was cool to have it gutted. Looks stock & sounds great! I needed more airflow to the carb. That stock lid is just for decoration. The K.N. filter & lid sould do the trick! I had to crisscross a couple of different aircleaners. the Drop base would not fit with throtle cable level braket. This is the best compromise for my car. I also have a 18in. spare now. The next update I should have enough miles to race the clock at Infinion Race Park